Search This Blog

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Half Way There!

Well, the taxes are just about done, and new tips have been posted on http://www.crochet.lifetips.com/, so I'm on track there too.  The weather here in DC has been amazing, so we've been trying to enjoy it -- so hard to believe that about 2 months ago we were buried in almost 2 feet of snow!

So, I've been thinking a lot lately about how to pull together all of the "mind, body, spirit and crochet" materials I have into a useful book.  I've been doing some additional research into mind topics, like meditation, because, frankly, that's the area that I have really let slip.  I used to meditate at least 3 times a week (still not considered sufficient, but better than nothing).  Now, if I make myself take a deep breath before b*tching and whining about something, I feel victorious!  It's really dawning on me that the excuse "I have no time for xyz" really is an excuse.  We've got 24 hours a day, and we've got choices about how we want to spend that time.  If you're CHOOSING to spend your time on x instead of y, then don't blame it on not having enough time.  I also think it's easy to get caught up in all of the contradictory information we receive everyday -- "you should exercise for an hour every day" v. "20-30 minutes of vigorous exercise 4 times a week is enough".  What should we do?!

For what it's worth, I'm figuring out that you have to customize your own approach to mind, body, spirit (and crochet :-)  Each of us has her or his own trouble spots (my right hip and my neck and shoulders have to be tended to, or they scream!), and we just need to be aware of them and address them in ways that work for us.  All I or anybody, even the experts, can do is give suggestions and general guidelines, but you have to figure out what works, or doesn't, work for you.  Mmmm, and I guess that's my opening statement for the book ;-)

Today's Thought:  Try this approach to addressing the lack of time in your life -- identify 1 hour a day that you can set aside for yourself (or, if you have to, 3 20-minute segments).  Then, spend 20 minutes of that hour reading.  Catch up on all of those magazine articles you've been putting aside or that novel you've been wanting to start or finish.  But, don't spend it on emails or at the computer -- you're already probably on there way too much!  Use the next 20 minutes to exercise.  Even if it means just walking around the block (you can cover a mile in 20 minutes if you're focused and vigorous), going up and down some stairs, or find a yoga routine (Baron Baptiste has some great 20-30 minute segments that work you from top to bottom) that you like.  Your last 20 minutes, start meditating!  Use the time to sit and quiet your mind, clearing it of all thoughts and stresses.  Having a hard time doing it on your own?  Seek out a meditation center in your town or a "MeetUp" group, or start one of your own.  Just anything you can do to step back and get perspective.  I know it'll be hard to do this every day at first, but believe me, you will start to crave it, and you will find that one hour each day to re-energize yourself, and this blog is all about helping you get there!

No comments: