Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Discovery

So, as part of my "new" approach to things, I'm also trying new things.  I've never been much of a journal-er (well, except for this blog), so I decided that maybe that was something I needed to try in this new year.  But, I feel like I need some guidance and structure in giving this a try.  As it so happens, I was looking through my iBooks for something else and came across "Unravel Your Year," a download from Susannah Conway that I must have saved somehow and guides you through the process of unraveling the year you left behind and preparing for the year ahead.  What I really like about this download is that it's a workbook with specific step-by-step instructions on how to work through the process.

I flipped through it to get a sense of what kind of time commitment I was going to need to make (I'd say a couple of hours at least), and one thing that caught my eye was the statement that awareness + intention make for a powerful combination.  There was also the direction to choose a guiding word for the upcoming year.  My chosen word is the title of this blog post:  Discovery.  I want to approach this exercise as a discovery of what 2017 was all about (or as much of that as is possible), but, more importantly, what 2018 will intentionally be about.

I want to discover lots of new things in this new year, though this blog will be about crochet (and probably some knit and maybe even some other crafty) discoveries.  In the fall of 2017, as part of my "letting go" episode, I began an obsession with the construction of raglan-style baby sweaters!  I found it easier to knit from the neck down to the waist (while inserting the arms as well along the way), then crocheting the bottom half of the sweater.   In keeping with my distaste for weaving in yarn tails, the sweater is pretty much done by the time you're at the bottom (except for having to sew up the arms).  I was just experimenting and enjoying the creative process, but I think I'm ready to be more methodical about it and write down my process so that I'll remember and you'll benefit too!

Thus, one of my goals for this year is to discover and memorialize my crochet and knitting journey!  If there are any crafty detours you want me to take, please connect with me on social media!

No comments: