Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

The No-Pay MBA

You know, there are times in life when you have an idea, you set it aside, and then you come back across it, executed by someone else, probably (if you're honest with yourself) better than you could have done it!  Well, that happened to me the other day.

I've always wanted to get an MBA.  I even got into NYU Business School my senior year of college but took another path (a good one, so no real regrets).  And, these days, graduate schools are prohibitively expensive, and giving up a full time job (and MCG on the side) is not an option.  So, I got to thinking about how, with the internet, there are so many other options to learn (for me, it's really not about the degree itself, but the curriculum that business schools advocate in order to develop the knowledge and skills for running a business).  I started to research the different courses that business schools require, but of course got distracted by other bright shiny objects...

And the other day, while going through emails and scanning the headlines of some old SmartBrief for Your Career newsletters, what pops up but an article "6 Free Online Courses That'll Teach You the Same Skills You'd Learn in Business School" by Laurie Pickard.  She has such an interesting personal story and does a great job of outlining the core business courses that I clicked on her bio and went to her website The No-Pay MBA and bought the book!  No affiliation here, just a recommendation if you too have been exploring ways to gain some additional business knowledge and skills in a legitimate way (don't get me wrong, I think some of the "online Facebook motivational speakers" and their offerings have merit, but nothing substitutes for the in-depth, rigorous courses that real educational institutions offer).

Now, to go find the time, energy, and discipline it takes to actually implement this!!

No comments: