Search This Blog

Monday, January 4, 2016

Hello 2016!

Well, here we are again, at the beginning of a new year!  I try to look at the upcoming 12 months optimistically, a whole new clean slate on which to do whatever it is you want to do.  Of course, it's bittersweet because I always go back to the first post of the previous year to see what I did, and did not, accomplish.  The two blog posts a week plan sure didn't get done; I did participate more on Facebook, and I've discovered I really enjoy the interaction and some of the new tools that have been added; and I have been much better about actually starting and finishing projects -- you all just haven't heard about them... yet!

So, for 2016, here are my three goals:

1)  a realistic and meaningful blog post schedule

As much as I read about the importance of consistency in posting, I think, or at least am hoping, that you all will appreciate fewer but more meaningful posts.  I really don't want to slap something up here for the sake of posting and not have it be worthwhile for the reader.  Now, I know, don't let perfection get in the way of progress, and I won't/can't, but this year is really going to be about meaningfulness.  Quality above quantity and meeting crocheters' needs.

2)  a focus on techniques and projects

"Give a pattern to a crocheter, and she's (or he) got one project; teach a new technique to a crocheter, and she's got a lifetime of possibilities."  Or something like that ;-).  I really want to approach this new year in learning and teaching mode.  Don't get me wrong, I too love just picking up a pattern and knowing/hoping that I can follow it and end up with a wonderful finished item.  I've actually been doing that a lot this past year, and I think it's going to make me an even better pattern writer.  But, there are times when the pattern isn't just the way I want it, and I think it's important to stray from the directions and add my own touches.  I really want to empower other crocheters to feel comfortable doing the same.  Not everyone's got a local yarn store where they can get assistance and build community.  That's the beauty of the Internet, we can do it right here!

3)  explore the "crochet/knit lifestyle"

I hinted last year at my observation that crocheting (and knitting) are more than just hobbies; they really are important aspects of life itself.  You know what I mean -- you start crocheting or knitting, and you just get this feeling.  Not just about the particular project you are making but about the process you're engaging in as well as about your surroundings.  I really want to spend this year exploring and conveying specifically what this means.  Again, due to modern life, we don't have the communities and kinships that we used to, but I have noticed on Facebook in particular and the Internet in general, that like-minded souls do seem to find each other :-).  And, I'm sure you've noticed my references to knitting as well.  I really want to incorporate more knitting into my projects because, let's face it, there are certain knitting techniques that work better than crochet for certain aspects of a project (think ribbing!).  I also get a different feeling when I knit than when I crochet (maybe because I haven't been knitting for as long), and I think that phenomenon will be worth exploring as well.

So, perhaps loftier goals for 2016, but hopefully ones you will want to explore with me!  Happy New Year everyone, here's to making it a great one!!



No comments: