It showed up right in time because I recently found out that a friend of mine is expecting baby number 2! This one's going to be a boy (the first baby is a girl, and she got this baby blanket and still carries it around :-), and the nursery theme is safari. So, off to A.C. Moore I went before Blizzard 2016 (now, yarnies, don't judge! Acrylic yarns these days are pretty decent, and, for a baby, the wash-ability and allergy-free nature of the yarn is key) and found "Camouflage" by Red Heart (that's another thing, there were no safari-like or camouflage yarns at fibre space or Looped).
It did not take long to get to this point with this worsted weight yarn and an H hook:
I ended up having 18 "boxes" across and 22 for the length. I probably should have tried to have 24, but I was running out of yarn (the main body took just one skein) and didn't want to chance it.
Now, I'm putting on a double crochet black border and am thinking about experimenting with adding a row of beige/camel in there too. I'll be posting a better photo of the final project soon (she's coming to visit at the beginning of February!) with more details if you want to give it a try as well.