Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Hooked on Murder

I have vowed this summer not to do any serious reading!  I am stocking up on fun, light reading that keeps my attention but that I can pick up and put down while at the pool.  Oh, and I decided to go with a crochet and knitting theme :-)

Well, so far, I've read two wonderful books that fit the bill.  The first, Hooked on Murder by Betty Hechtman, was an easy and enjoyable read.  I totally agree with Earlene Fowler's description on the jacket that it is "a gentle and charming novel... Its quirky and likable characters are appealing and real."  Crochet club member Molly Pink gets caught up in a murder mystery and does a little amateur sleuthing to try to solve the crime.  The book even includes the group's crochet pattern for a granny square and a recipe for pound cake!  I'm getting ready to read the next book in the series Dead Men Don't Crochet (admit it, pretty corny and clever titles!)

And, the second,  The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club by Gil McNeil, is a bit more thoughtful and serious with a British twist.  Jo Mackenzie finds herself widowed with two young boys, starting over in a small town as a yarn shop owner.  Despite a whole other set of quirky characters, the community embraces Jo, and she is headed towards a brighter future.  I think I'll probably pick up the next in this series of books as well.

Both books were relatively quick reads and entertaining, and both authors know their fiber arts!

No comments: