Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

What Yarn to Choose, Part 2

I really need to clean out my stash, I have waaaay too much yarn.  Shocking news, I know.  I was listening to DC Unraveled, the podcast of Looped Yarn Works, and Jessica was helping Colleen go through her yarn stash and match up yarns with potential projects.  Oh, I so badly need that!  But, first, I think I really need to figure out what I have and how much of it before I can figure out projects to do.  Though, knowing me, I had better figure out a few projects I want to make so that when the Metro Yarn Crawl gets here in April, I will at least buy yarn that matches with a project instead of just randomly buy yarn as I have been doing the last few years (crazy, I know!).  Oh, you ask "Phyllis, why are you buying more yarn when you already have so much?"  Now, what kind of question is that?!  It would be like asking a cat not to chase a mouse :-)

And, I'm still trying to learn more about yarn properties and how to properly match up projects and yarns.  I came across this great article by The Knitting Harpy that I thought I would share, though her starting point is that she knows what project she wants to make and is trying to figure out what kind of yarn to use.  She's got a pretty good system for narrowing down her choices.

And, speaking of podcasts, I'm still toying with the idea of starting one.  Sometimes I think it would be easier to just start talking about a topic than typing it out like this.  I could combine it with the blog by posting notes here to accompany the audio.  What do you all think?!


No comments: