Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Mosaic Knitting with Melissa Leapman

I was so fortunate yesterday to get to go to Melissa Leapman's class at Looped Yarn Works on Mosaic Knitting.  Now, I know of Ms. Leapman as an amazing crochet designer, and her book Cool Crochet: 30 Hot, Fun Designs to Crochet and Wear is full of beautiful and fun-to-make projects.  So I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to find out about her knitting skills and designs, but I guess I thought she belongs to just us crocheters ;-).

She made the process of mosaic knitting so easy to understand and do, and I loved how the yarn didn't get all tangled and messy while working on our swatches.  It's a technique that uses slipped stitches to create the illusion of working a row with two colors when you're really only using one on that row.  By slipping a different colored loop from the row below, you elongate the stitch and make it appear to be mixed in with the color you are using on that row.  It's a little hard to explain but easy and fun to do (though you really have to pay attention what you are doing and the graph you're working on, which, by the way, is totally opposite from a crochet graph!!)

I went ahead and got her new book Color Knitting the Easy Way because there's a jacket in there that I really want and now feel like I could actually make!  I might save it for next fall though since it takes bulky yarn and size 11 needles -- I can see me making it now and wanting to wear it right away just as spring starts to appear!


No comments: