Search This Blog

Monday, January 7, 2013

Knitting Observations of a Crocheter

Well, I have to admit, I am enjoying the knitting, but I have noticed a few things that I thought I would share for those crocheters out there who, like me, are intimidated by the thought of trying to knit:

1)  I've always said it is hard to learn how to crochet, but easy to make things; it is easy to learn how to knit, but hard to make things.  Especially in the round.  It's hard to perch 3 or 4 double pointed needles to try to get something going, when with crochet, you just need one hook.  But, again, the flexible fabric that results from knitting in the round is what is going to get me my socks!  It seems that the trick is to keep the yarn tight when crossing over from one needle to the next, so I give it an extra tug before moving on to the next stitches.

2)  Another hard aspect is undoing mistakes.  If you get distracted while knitting and make a mistake, it's not as easy as just pulling out a few crochet stitches and starting over -- you have to carefully undo the stitches and get them back on the left needle and then redo.  It's also important to be sure that the loops are turned in the same directions, or it really affects how the completed stitch looks.  I came across a book called Knit Fix: Problem Solving for Knitters that has been helpful in addressing the boo boos.

3)  Knitting instructions are even harder to understand than crochet ones!  Especially European instructions -- actually, I wouldn't even call them instructions, they're more like "guidelines."  But, in a way, they give you the freedom to experiment and make the project your own.

But, having said all this, I am really starting to appreciate how the differences between the techniques can enhance the final product, and I'm getting inspired to create some combination projects.  Stay tuned!

No comments: