Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Metro Yarn Crawl 2012

Ah, it's that time of year, and I am going to try really hard to visit almost all the store (I don't think I'm going to make it all the way to Glen Burnie this year though :-(

So far, I've been to Aylin's Woolgatherer and Uniquities Yarn Shop, both in Virginia (the website www.metroyarncrawl.com has a suggested routes map that's very helpful).  Uniquities is located in a lovely part of Vienna, Virginia and has an amazing selection of notions, knitting and crochet "equipment".  Their yarn selection is extensive as well, and the ladies there could not have been nicer!

Then, off to Aylin's we went.  That shop was much harder to find, but thanks to the ladies at Uniquities, we knew that we had to go to Loehman's shopping center, look for the building in which the 7-11 is located, go over to the side of the building, and go to the third floor.  But, it was worth the trip!  I love Schachenmayr's mercerized cotton yarn, and the shop has a great selection of colors, and also an extensive collection of knitting and crocheting booklets, with a number of European brands.  We also got to meet Aylin, who turns out to be from Turkey originally.  After making my purchases and tasting her delicious borek (Turks can never let you leave without feeding you :-), I made my way back to DC!

The next adventure is on Thursday, this time in Maryland!

No comments: