Search This Blog

Monday, October 10, 2011

Silver?!

I meant to keep my promise to myself not to buy more yarn, but you know where this is going...  I was in Looped Yarn Works the other day and came across a yarn made from 95% Turkish cotton and 5% real silver!  It's called KB Cotton Sifa, which is a natural, untreated cotton that contains silver, said to have healing properties for many ailments.  As a result, you can work up projects like booties or mitts that are both beautiful and health-building.  The non-slippery, woven chain ply keeps cool in the summer and warm in the winter.  And, on top of all that, the yarn is sourced from the town of Golcuk (on the Northwest coast of Turkey), which was devastated by a 7.6 earthquake in 1999 but since rebuilt, in part by the fact that the Golcuk Art and Culture Center has given the women of the community the opportunity to express their talents and generate needed incomes through arts and crafts.  The founder of The Knit Box has her own wonderful story and provides stockist information in the UK and US for this and some other really beautiful Turkish yarns, so please check it out! Oh, and what should I make from the Cotton Sifa -- booties/socks, mittens, or something else?!  Visit my Facebook page and let me know!!




No comments: