Search This Blog

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Knitting and Meditation

Talk about a day of mind, body, spirit, ... and knitting!  The Shambhala Center in DC had a day-long program on knitting, meditation, and a little bit of yoga thrown in also.  It was really a nice way to spend the day, and I feel like I got a lot out of it.  Though not really a part of the program, the first thing I learned was the "Portuguese knitting" technique, which was a breakthrough for me.  It's a method by which you wrap the yarn around the back of your neck (to control the tension) from right to left over your left shoulder and then use your left thumb to flick the yarn around the needle if you are a right-handed knitter.  I guess this is similar to continental or English style knitting.  I found it pretty easy, with a lot of economy of movement.  Now, of course, since you are using different small muscles, I have the feeling there might be some new twinges as a result, but I really enjoyed playing around with this technique.  Crochet will always be my first love, but I'm looking forward to adding some knit elements to future designs.

Next step, slipping stitches!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

strategy by which you place the string around the again of your throat (to management the tension) from right to eventually remaining your eventually left get and then use your eventually left usb to film the string around the hook if you are a right-handed knitter.
promotional bags

Unknown said...

I am bowled by your level of knowledge. I am so impressed. I think you have got a deep insight into this topic. Could not think on those lines ever…I think you are gifted…keep going. Thumbs up!
Promotional mugs

Unknown said...

It comprises a set of views that humans are purely natural phenomena, sophisticated beings that evolved to our present state through natural mechanisms such as evolution
promotional products