Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Rippled Heart

Whew, so with a few days to spare, I posted my Rippled Heart pattern on Ravelry last night.


It's a fun V-day project, and I was thinking, if you make 2 of them and sew/slip stitch them together, what a cute change purse it would make!

Other than that, I'm getting ready to venture out and try to go to the grocery store to get some additional provisions before the next storm hits!  The TV news folks are still saying 10 to 20 more inches, starting around 3 PM today and going until 7 PM tomorrow.  Although I am starting to really enjoy this new lifestyle of mine (get up, do an exercise video, change into clean sweatpants, and start crocheting while watching the soaps or a Gilmore Girls rerun...  oh, and lots of sorta healthy snacking!), I feel like real life is going to intrude soon enough, and I'll be too soft to return to it. Oh well, I guess I'll just milk it as long as I can, then face the music when the time comes :-)

Today's Thought:  Food Rule # 4 -- Avoid food products containing high fructose corn syrup.  Mr. Pollan says that it's not because HFCS is any worse for you than sugar but because it is highly processed.  He also points out that we get a lot of it unknowingly because it is in a lot of foods that have not traditionally been sweetened, like breads, condiments, and snack foods.  Even if products say "no HFCS" or "real cane sugar", don't fall for it -- sugar is sugar, and we need to cut down on it.  So, how have I been implementing this rule?  I've cut out sodas almost exclusively from my diet.  It was tough at first, but by switching to real fruit juice with a splash of club soda or sparkling water or unsweetened iced tea, it hasn't been so bad.  I did break down and buy some of the Pepsi Throwback, which is made with real sugar.  Even though it's not any better than the soda with HFCS, at least it's not as processed and I think it tastes less sweet.

No comments: