Search This Blog

Friday, January 22, 2010

Haiti

So, I had been meaning to give some $$ to the cause, but for some reason, had been piddling around about it (I think probably having to do with being sure that I was giving to a legitimate fund and through a secure website).  Today, as I was checking into http://www.cnn.com/, I came across an interesting article about relief efforts and why people donate to them:  http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/01/22/psychology.giving.charity/index.html?hpt=Sbin

So, I get home tonight and turn on the tube, and the Help for Haiti Now telethon is on.  I start getting out my wallet and the story about the man who stood by his wife's work building for 6 days and begged rescuers to dig for her because he just felt she was still alive came on.  Turns out they found her and got her out!  They first dug a small hole and dropped in a camera -- they see her, and she says "whether I live or die, tell him I love him!" 

Ok, well that did it -- as tears are streaming down my face, I go running for the computer with credit card in hand!  Whew.

Well, now that that's done, I decided I'd better post this info in case others are looking for reassurance that it's safe to donate online.  I ended up going to http://www.clintonbushhaitifund.org/ because I figured that would be the most secure site.  Sure enough, you can use your PayPal account to donate, so no one ever sees your credit card information.  It was really easy and I printed out my receipt right away.  They are also supposed to send a receipt by email also.

Ok, back to the TV -- I hear Madonna coming on!

No comments: