Search This Blog

Saturday, May 31, 2008

More Babies!

Well, more babies on the way! I know, I know, I still haven't finished the girl blanket (so close, I swear!), but now I find out there's a baby shower for a co-worker on June 11th! I'm sure I can whip up something between trying to create more patterns and finishing up the girl blanket. I'll of course keep you posted :-)

I don't know why I'm so fascinated by the different animals involved with yarn production, but the latest thing I've learned is that really thin wool used for making lace comes from Shetland sheep that trace back at least 5,000 years in Shetland, an archipelago off mainland Scotland. These sheep have a naturally colorful fleece that yields a really light wool. Because Norse settlements sprang up on the Shetland Islands around 800 C.E., you can see their influence on the knitting styles that come from that area: detailed lace patterns as well as intricate colorwork.

Today's Thought: Check out my recently published content on http://www.associatedcontent.com/: The Five Financial Mistakes Never to Make.

No comments: